Conferral of Emeritus/Emerita Status Procedure
In recognition of contributions and distinguished service to Hudson County Community
College, the Board of Trustees will grant retiring tenured faculty and staff, serving
at the Associate Dean's level or above, an honorary title corresponding to the title
held immediately before retirement, which shall be known as "Emeritus/Emerita."
- Eligibility requirements:
- Demonstrated exemplary performance.
- No adverse personnel decisions currently on file and no significant disciplinary history
during the five years preceding retirement.
- At least twenty years of full-time service to Hudson County Community College. Under
certain circumstances the College may confer Emeritus/Emerita status to individuals
that do not have twenty years of full-time service but who would otherwise be eligible.
- Evidence of substantive contributions and distinguished service.
- Procedures for consideration:
- Employees may nominate retiring/retired employees for Emeritus Status, stating how
they meet the eligibility requirements of this policy, for consideration of the conferral
of Emeritus/Emerita status. Requests should be submitted by December 31 of each academic
- Upon verifying eligibility from the Vice President for Human Resources, the President
will recommend eligible employees for Emeritus/Emerita status to the Board of Trustees
through the Board Personnel Committee.
- The Board of Trustees will act upon the President’s and Personnel Committee’s recommendations.
- Any employee retired or deceased prior to approval of this policy may be appointed
to such status retroactively or posthumously.
- The Emeritus/Emerita status will include:
- A printed resolution of the Board of Trustees action granting the Emeritus/Emerita
- Emeritus/Emerita recognition during their lifetime in the College catalog and other
appropriate publications and venues.
- The opportunity to receive invitations to formal College events and academic functions.
- A College email address.
- A College ID designating Emeritus/Emerita status.
- Access to library facilities and electronic resources.
- Access to shared office space when reasonably possible.
Approved: January 2022
Approved by: Cabinet
Category: President’s Office
Scheduled for Review: January 2025
Responsible Department: President’s Office (Cabinet)
Return to Policies and Procedures