Transfer Glossary Terms

Types of Agreements

Listed below are the most common types of transfer agreements and how each of them works. If you have any questions, please contact your assigned academic advisor.

An articulation agreement is an agreement that goes into detail about things such as

  • Guaranteed admission 
  • Acceptance of transfer credits
  • Eligibility for scholarships
  • Academic course requirements

These agreements help to provide students with a step-by-step guide for completing necessary course requirements and transferring credits to another school. 

Dual Admissions is when a student is admitted to two institutions at the same time. For example, a student can be seeking a degree at HCCC and already admitted to a four-year transfer institution, with access to their campus and services. Their HCCC classes would then transfer to the four-year institution, once they complete their Associate’s Degree.

Dual enrollment is when a student is enrolled and taking classes in more than one institution at the same time. For example, in high school, a student can take high school courses than earn college credits at HCCC.

2+2 Agreements:
(2 years at the community college and 2 years at the four-year institution.)

2+2 programs are designed for students who take half of a degree at one institution and the second half at another institution. Usually, this is completing an associate degree at a community college and transferring into a four-year institution for bachelor’s degree completion. A student’s enrollment status may cause an agreement like this to vary in length.  

3+1 Agreements:
(3 years at the community college and 1 year at the four-year institution.)

A student earns their associate degree at a community college, stays for an additional year at the college as they take upper-level coursework, then transfers in their final year to the four-year institution to complete their bachelor’s degree. These pathways, designed by both the community college and university, minimize the risks associated with the transfer and set learners up for success. 

Reverse transfer is when students transfer credits back to a previously attended institution to complete a degree even after leaving that institution. These agreements realize that students often transfer before completing a degree. Institutions collaborate closely, obtaining necessary paperwork and submitting the official transcripts for formal awarding of the degree. Students are encouraged to complete their Associates degree to maximize transfer credit and reduce cost.

The Garden State Guarantee (GSG) is New Jersey's promise to make a college degree more accessible and affordable. By reducing out-of-pocket costs for students and families, New Jersey is limiting the amount of debt that residents must borrow to attend an in-state, public college or university. Click on the links below for further information.

Office of the Secretary of Higher Education Garden State Guarantee (GSG) (
Garden State Guarantee (GSG) Fact Sheet and FAQ's


Contact Information

For College Partners - Contact Transfer Pathways

Jennifer ValcarcelJennifer Valcarcel
Director of Transfer Pathways
70 Sip Avenue, 1st Floor
Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 360-4119

Rimsha BazaidRimsha Bazaid
Program Coordinator
70 Sip Avenue, 1st Floor
Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 360-5478

Follow transferpathways on Instragam! @hccc_transferpathways