Transfer without Agreement

Are you considering transferring from a community college to a four-year institution that doesn't have an official articulation agreement in place? While articulation agreements can simplify the transfer process, they are not the only path to successfully transferring to your desired university. Here's a guide on how to navigate the transfer process effectively

  1. Research the Transfer Policies:

    Start by researching the transfer policies of the college you're interested in. Most universities have a dedicated webpage for transfer students where they outline their admission requirements, application deadlines, and credit transfer policies. This will give you a clear idea of what the university expects from transfer applicants.

  2. Course Equivalency:

    Although there might not be an official articulation agreement, you can still compare the courses you've taken at the community college with the ones offered at the university. Check the university's course catalog to find courses that are like those you've completed. This can help demonstrate that you've covered the necessary prerequisites.

  3. Meet with Academic Advisors:

    Make an appointment with academic advisors at both your community college and the university you're interested in transferring to. Discuss your plans, share your academic history, and ask for advice on how to make your transfer successful. They can provide guidance on course selection and ensure you're on the right track.

  4. Maintain Strong Grades:

    A solid academic record is crucial for successful transfer, especially when there's no articulation agreement in place. Maintain a strong GPA and strive for excellence in your courses. Universities often prioritize transfer applicants who have demonstrated their academic potential.

  5. Flexibility in Electives:

    Be prepared to potentially retake some courses or fulfill elective requirements that weren't directly covered in your community college curriculum. This flexibility will show your commitment to meeting the university's academic standards.

  6. Transfer Scholarships and Aid:

    Check if the university offers transfer scholarships or financial aid opportunities. Even without an articulation agreement, some universities have specific awards for transfer students. Explore these options to ease the financial burden of transferring.

  7. Be Patient and Persistent:

    Transferring can be a complex process, especially without an articulation agreement. Be patient and prepared for potential challenges. If you face any roadblocks, reach out to admissions representatives for clarification and guidance.

  8. Attend Transfer Events:

    Many universities host transfer information sessions or events. Attending these can provide you with valuable insights into the transfer process and allow you to connect with university representatives.

    Remember, while articulation agreements can streamline the transfer process, they are not the only path to success. By researching, preparing, and demonstrating your commitment, you can increase your chances of a smooth transfer to a college without an existing agreement.

NJ Transfer

More transfer events:

You can find course equivalencies for HCCC courses to NJ Colleges by visiting the NJTransfer website. Click on students → Find Course Equivalencies.

Keep copies of the syllabus for all of your courses in case you need to show the transfer college/university.

Contact Information

For College Partners - Contact Transfer Pathways

Jennifer ValcarcelJennifer Valcarcel
Director of Transfer Pathways
70 Sip Avenue, 1st Floor
Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 360-4119

Rimsha BazaidRimsha Bazaid
Program Coordinator
70 Sip Avenue, 1st Floor
Jersey City, NJ 07306
(201) 360-5478

Follow transferpathways on Instragam! @hccc_transferpathways